Your wrists take the brunt of the hours you spend at your computer…responding to emails, preparing complicated spreadsheets or composing humorous anecdotes for your blog.
The resulting debilitating pain, numbness and tingling of carpal tunnel syndrome can put a halt to your work-day creativity.
But typing is not the only culprit.
Long-haul drivers, knitters, house painters, window washers, wood-workers, artists and anyone who works with vibrating equipment has an increased risk for carpal tunnel syndrome, especially if there is pre-existing pain or a weakness in their wrists.
Unfortunately, there are no proven strategies to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. Some people are simply prone to it. But here are a few things to consider to help ease the stress on your wrists:
- Think about your daily routine; evaluate it for activities that increase your risk. Efficient body mechanics are one of the keys to preventing carpal tunnel syndrome.
- If you sit at a desk all day, try to arrange your work space using ergonomic guidelines – set up a body-friendly workstation which includes the placement of your computer monitor and desk, the choice of a comfortable chair and the use of a specially designed wrist-rest.
- Check your posture. Sit up straight! If you don’t, your shoulders tend to roll forward causing your neck and shoulder muscles to shorten, compressing nerves in your neck. This can affect your wrists, fingers and hands.
- Stay at a healthy weight and try to control other conditions such as arthritis and diabetes.
- Avoid smoking.
- Take frequent breaks. Get up from your chair, put down your knitting. Walk, rest, stretch, change positions, shake, bend or stretch your hands and fingers often.
- Keep your hands warm. If you are unable to control the temperature of your workspace, fingerless mitts allow movement of the fingers while warming the hands and wrists.
- Relax your grip! Most of us use more force than needed to perform everyday tasks.
If you think you may have carpal tunnel syndrome and would like to discuss your options, call today for a consultation!